Cool Graphics at RevolutionMySpace.com >

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mandatory Questions

I don't know about you, but there are some questions that cashiers ask that trigger certain emotions. My rational self knows it is nothing personal it's just part of their job, but I find it amusing how a simple question can evoke certain reactions.

Here's an example: When I go to the liquor store, I know that it is their standard protocol to request identification, but it still makes me feel good. I always walk away with a smile on my face. To be honest, if they don't "card me", I walk away thinking . . . "Damn, I know I'm getting old when they no longer ask for id".

Another example: I enjoy shopping at our local Mills Fleet Farm. Surprisingly they have one of the best candy sections around. When I go there, I am usually running a number of errands and I haven't necessarily taken the time to worry about my makeup, hair or outfit and I'm usually there to buy salt for our water softener but I get a bit defensive when the cashier asks, "is this for home or farm use?" My immediate thought is, "Ugh, I must look like shit today!" My friend Mary once described me as 'prissy'. My appearance must be slipping.

It's silly isn't it? The liquor store cashier only asks for my id to protect their job and avoid legal problems, but it still becomes a nice ego boost. The Fleet Farm cashier only asks if it's for farm use to determine taxation on the purchase, but immediately it taps into the stereotypical image of a farm wife. You know the one I'm speaking of, tom-boyish, sturdy build, practical and devoid of glamour.

It would be interesting to know if there is a cashier question that triggers similar thoughts for other people.

No comments:

glitter graphics