Cool Graphics at RevolutionMySpace.com >

Friday, May 23, 2008

I committed murder!

I feel awful! It wasn't intentional or premeditated, so I believe it would be manslaughter, or should I say birdslaughter.

Let me back up a bit and fully explain this. Completely out of character, I decided to pick up some of the garbage around the house. I'm almost ashamed to admit the extent of my laziness. (No, the boxes from our move are NOT unpacked!) But, it's the middle of May and I decided that before the little boy scout comes by selling this year's Christmas wreaths I had better discard last year's. Yes, you read that right - I just threw away the Christmas wreath that has been hanging on our front door since November. I knew we have had frequent visits from a bird to our front door because I can hear the chirping and singing. I just thought she was collecting items from the wreath and from our dryer vent to take back to line her nest. What I didn't realize was that the mama bird had decided to make the wreath her new home.

Thursday is our garbage day and in effort to get the wreath into the trash bin before the garbage man came, I grabbed it off the hanger and high tailed it to the bin by the curb. When I approached the front door to go back inside, I could see two little wiggly things on the porch. Each of them looked like a really fuzzy caterpillar wiggling around. I did a double take to make certain it really was moving -- it was. My first thought was, "yuck, what an ugly worm". Upon further examination, I saw there were two of them and just a few inches away, a splattered egg. Then, it hit me. These weren't caterpillars, there were itty bitty teeny weenie baby birds. They weren't even an inch long, but you could see all their features and how hard each was trying to survive. Believe me, I had no idea they were in the wreath!

Normally, something like this wouldn't bother me, but for some reason, yesterday was different. To make matters worse, I was doing some cleaning in the kitchen and I could hear the mama bird outside calling for her babies. Searching for the home she thought was safe.

When I went to show my husband what I had done, we realized that the landscapers had swept the porch that afternoon and the birds were gone. My guess is that they were swept away but I am not certain. I wonder if the mama bird found her babies on the porch.

I honestly don't know what I would have done if I had known about them. I certainly am not running a bird sanctuary, but I may have been able to relocate them. My apologies to the birdies' momma.

Note to self: Christmas decorations should be removed in a timely fashion (like before Valentine's Day!)

No comments:

glitter graphics